Thursday, March 10, 2011

Awesome Photo of Awesomeness!

My friend, Joey, alerted me to the existence of this photo. I don't remember him taking this; but sure enough, there's my hand and DS in the upper right.

I firmly believe that this is pretty frickin' awesome because it brings back particularly fond memories of my time at PAX Prime this past year. When I went to PAX for the first time in 2009, I pretty much just worked the whole weekend because I didn't really know anyone else there. In any case, I didn't even know what I wanted to do--I just wanted to *be* there. So, I did my volunteer work, but did not play a single game until the volunteers' after party the day after the show ended. I know, shocking!

Last year, however, I got in on a game of Metroid Pinball; and though we didn't play for very long, it's still one of my favorite moments of that PAX. Before then, it had been something like three years since I played with someone else, let alone three other people. It's interesting how much satisfaction we get from playing games with each other. I imagine human beings have been creating games to entertain ourselves for thousands of years, and having that interactive element is half the experience. As social creatures, it isn't nearly as satisfying for us to play a game alone. In fact, I often forgo logging time on my DS in favor of reading; but I'll jump at the opportunity to get in on a game with other people.

So, in honor of PAX East, which is starting tomorrow in Boston, I think I'll try to play some games with friends this weekend. Who's in?

No comments:

Post a Comment