Monday, February 28, 2011

Semi-Gamer Girl

I spent some time this past weekend playing New Super Mario Brothers with a couple friends, and it reminded me why I love playing games. With grad school, then working at Peet's Coffee, then trying to find a full time job, and now having a full time job, I just never make the time for it anymore. It also doesn't help that I usually have to play alone with whatever DS games I can get ahold of; but I end up buying those months after everyone else is finished playing them and they're already old news.

But playing New Super Mario brought back a ton of memories for me, back when I still shared a room with my younger brothers and we would play the original on our brand spanking new Nintendo Entertainment System. I remember us trying to play Duck Hunt, but failing miserably because our aim was so bad. We would stand directly in front of the TV screen, holding the plastic gun against the glass, but we still missed all the time. Now that I think about it, I don't even know how that game worked because as far as I recall, there were no motion sensors in that little red and grey plastic gun.

I can remember my dad pulling out his Atari for us, but it was too old and just wouldn't work. I can remember my brothers trash talking me so much I didn't want to play with them anymore. Eventually, my parents gave me my own room, and then they wouldn't even let me play anymore. I remember upgrading to the Sega Genesis and playing Sonic the Hedgehog, then upgrading to the Nintendo 64 and sneaking into the boys' room while they were still at school so I could play some Tetris 3D in peace and quiet.

I remember going to college where every guy on the floor had an X-Box. I actually got to know my college boyfriend from trying to play Halo with him, but then giving up on ever pwning at slayer and playing Fables instead. I remember scoffing at the DS, wondering why anyone would need two screens, then immediately falling in love with it once I actually got my hands on one. I also remember my younger brother bringing his Wii back home with him from college during the Christmas break, and we would stay up until well after midnight trying to beat Paper Mario.

I have innumerable awesome memories playing games. Those memories are why I love going to PAX Prime every year -- 70,000 gamers all in one place for one glorious weekend where we can share in our mutual love of video games. It's not just the nostalgia, but also the sure knowledge that everyone around me is there for the same reason, and I could probably be friends with a good number of them. In fact, I have a bunch of friends I met at PAX who I look forward to seeing every year; and it's actually how I got in touch with my gaming friends of this weekend, who are two of the coolest people I know now.

In summary, even though I don't have the opportunity to play a whole lot, I grew up with games, and I still like to think that I'm a gamer girl. Maybe I'll just settle for semi-gamer girl.

2 comments:

  1. I find it hilarious (and telling) that we were at USF together for three years, but it took PAX to finally get us to hang out.

    Lately, I think the term "girl gamer" has acquired a bit of a stigma thanks to the attention-whore types who refer to themselves as such, so I think it would be best if you were just a "girl who grew up around video games and plays them occasionally."

    Unfortunately, it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA, I appreciate your concern over the term "girl gamer," but you are also correct in noting that "girl who grew up around video games and plays them occasionally" does not roll off the tongue quite as well.

    Thank the powers that be for PAX, right?

    ReplyDelete